According to reports, Boko Haram men struck again on Monday night May 5th, killing 300 people and burning several houses in Gamboru Ngala, in Borno state. The men reportedly came into town in armored personnel carrier and armed with Improvised Explosive Devices, petrol bombs, assault rifles and Rocket Propelled Launchers. They targeted the market in the town, shooting people and then proceeded to set ablaze houses and properties in the area.
Confirming the incident to BBC Hausa service in Maiduguri, Senator Ahmed Zannah who represents the area at the national assembly said the 12 hour attack happened in the night when the people were sleeping. Continue…
“The attackers stormed the communities in the night when residents were still sleeping, setting ablaze houses and shooting residents who tried to escape from the fire. About 300 persons were confirmed dead after the incident, with several others injured. Almost all the houses in the communities were destroyed by the hoodlums who threw IEDs at the buildings. My brother who was at the scene of the attack told me that the actual number of the dead cannot be ascertained but at least they are up to 300. In fact, as he spoke he wept following the high number of the dead bodies which littered the market.” he said
According to him, the Islamic sect men gained access to the town after the military men stationed there moved out to pursue the sect men following intelligence report that they were sighted at the Lake chad axis with some abducted girls
“It was just an hour after their withdrawal that the terrorists invaded the town, shooting everyone at sight and setting buildings on fire. So far 200 vehicles and thousands of houses, shops and an outfit of the Nigerian Customs Service, (NCS) were all burnt”, he explained